Employee resistance and direct control
Assignment Title: employee resistance and direct control
Choose ONE of the following essays: employee resistance and direct control
Essay Q1: Critically discuss employee resistance and compliance to direct control and normative control in organisations. Consider this using research-based evidence of organisations in at least two different countries.
Please not I changed Q2 on Tuesday 17th November (Will Atkinson)
Essay Q2: Compare and contrast the United States of America and the People’s Republic of China as great powers and discuss the possible impact of the US presidential election on the growing conflict between the two powers
Essay question one and assignment brief
Q1 Critically discuss employee resistance and compliance to direct control and normative control in organisations. Consider this using research-based evidence of organisations in at least two different countries.
Q1 Description of the assignment:
Begin with an introduction explaining the main points of discussion in your essay.
Discuss what is meant by ‘control’ in the workplace. Discuss how control relates to power. Consider this in relation to the employment relationship.
Any specific instructions:
In terms of different types of ‘control’ it is expected that you consider direct control that is aimed at monitoring employee performance and more normative forms of control that aim at gaining employee commitment.
Referring to at least four research-based academic journal papers (and other sources) that have focused on ways employees respond to control and commitment mechanisms, critically discuss different employee responses (be they resistant or compliant) and the reasons for those responses in different organisational settings.
This must include employees in organisational settings in at least two different countries.
Referring to the discussion in your essay conclude on which method (direct control or more indirect forms of normative control) you feel is more effective from a managerial point of view.
Essay question two and assignment brief
Please note: I changed ESSAY Q2 on Tuesday 17th November (Will Atkinson)
Q2 Compare and contrast the United States of America and the People’s Republic of China as great powers and discuss the possible impact of the US presidential election on the growing conflict between the two powers
Q2: Description of the assignment:
The essay should begin with an introduction explaining the structure and argument. It should develop the argument in the main body of the text. It should end with a conclusion summarising the argument without adding new material.
Any specific instructions:
Students should devote an approximately equal amount of space to each part of the question
To compare and contrast the two powers of the USA and China you should be using Michael Mann’s sources of power (Economic, Military, Political, Ideological)
To discuss the impact of the US presidential election you should be using recent articles from sources such as (but not exclusively) the Economist and the Financial Times
An essay that is well-written and well-organised, and presents a clear argument backed by evidence derived from wide, well-chosen reading will earn high marks. One that is poorly organised and poorly written, and lacks a clear argument, with no sign of intelligent reading, will earn poor marks.
Assignment plan and feedback
You should develop a plan for the assignment (this is not assessed)
This should include two sections:
• A plan of the key points you intend to cover in the essay (max. 250 words)
• A clear reference for: one key article and one key book that has been provided during the module with a clear indication of what discussion point or argument you will be using them for in the main essay (max. 250 words)
Note on articles in plan:
For Question 1 this will need to be an academic research-based article
For Question 2 this can be a journalistic article on world affairs
For question 1 email plan to Will Atkinson
For question 2 email plan to Michael Williams
You will need to present these plans in online drop-in sessions where you will receive feedback on the direction of your essay in the week beginning 14th December
Note: NEVER email your draft assignment to other students. Never use an essay from anyone else. Do not use ‘essay’ web sites. Write it yourself.
Student Support and Guidance
1. For further help, contact your module leader in their drop-in hours; email first.
2. Use the Grading Criteria in your Programme Handbook and mark scheme to help improve your work.
3. Go to CASE workshops, use the CASE website and drop-in hours www.studynet.herts.ac.uk/go/CASE/ Academic support is available through daily drop-ins from the CASE office. See the CASE workshop timetable on the CASE main website page for details.
4. Attend and participate in the weekly Academic Skills workshop running alongside this module.
5. Make full use of Library search to identify relevant academic material and the ‘Subject Toolkit for Business’ which contains links to other Information Databases and the Information Management contact details. (http://www.studynet1.herts.ac.uk/ptl/common/LIS.nsf/lis/4DAF5390094771C2802575ED004212BF)
6. Some tutors allow students to test their work using Turnitin. Guidance on submission to Turnitin can be found by using the following link. http://www.studynet1.herts.ac.uk/ptl/common/asu.nsf/resource+library/TURNITIN+FOR+STUDENTS+2016+USER+GUIDE.pdf/$FILE/TURNITIN+FOR+STUDENTS+2016+USER+GUIDE.pdf
Place an order with us on https://assignmentsproficient.com/ and expect the best grades and help from qualified writers